Monday, June 11, 2012

Sharing

To be honest I have never been very good as sharing. I think I missed that lesson as a child. Growing up I was the only girl so I never had to share anything. I always had my own room, my mom was very traditional that way. Boys and girls never shared a room, even if I meant I had to share a room with her. Of course the only time I shared a room with her was when I was so little I don't remember it. She was a single mom until I was six or seven and then got remarried. Even my step siblings were all boys so I never had to share my things with them.

The first time I shared a room was when I was 18 and off at college. It was an adjustment to say the least. Who did this person think she was coming in my room and turning the light on when clearly I want to be asleep. Oh yeah my roommate and it's her room too. Dang it, I can't get mad at her. That did not stop me from getting upset though. I learned a lot from her that semester. She is now one of my best friends and it makes me sad that we no longer live close together. Blast getting married and staying in California. (Ok maybe I love being married and living in California, but I don't love not seeing Katelyn all the time)

That brings me to my current sharing issue: my body. I have to share my body with my little lady. I really had no idea what I was getting into when I told Orion we should get pregnant. I never realized that I would have to share everything with this little baby. There is no breaks during pregnancy. I can't go to my room (or hide out in the bathroom like I sometimes did in college) when I need a break from being pregnant because wherever I go the baby goes. Sometimes I just want some alone time with Orion, but it is impossible. I think the baby knows when I am really happy because she starts kicking and moving around a lot. It makes it not so much fun to cuddle up to Orion because there is not much room in my stomach anymore.

Although it is difficult for me to share my body with someone I have yet to meet I am grateful for the opportunity. It can be uncomfortable (like rolling over in the middle of the night), painful (trying to get up from a laying down position the wrong way), and tiring (enter my daily naps) but I am humbled to be allowed this experience. It is not everyday you get to take part of creating a life.

2 comments:

  1. I love that you honestly and openly admit to not being a good sharer! Way to look at the positives of pregnancy, though and kudos for staying strong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Someday I will be good at sharing. I am pretty good at sharing things with Orion, but it still can be difficult.

    ReplyDelete