Saturday, October 15, 2011

Giving

The other day I did something new. It seems like I have been doing a lot of new things lately. It is a good thing I think because it is forcing me to become a better person. I gave blood this week! The first time ever. I even got a sticker to prove it.
They stuck that huge sticker on me so everyone knew I was new. It was kind of scary. I have never been a fan of needles. They have always scared me. I took a speech class a couple of semesters ago that taught me a great thing. I learned that nervousness is a learned response. I think it is true. So I have decided to get over my fears because for the most part they are silly. Being afraid of a needle is silly. When my friend asked me to join he to give blood I said yes. I then felt scared because it meant that I would be willingly having someone stick me with a needle. Then I told myself that it was for a good cause.
I even got a cool color arm wrap. They failed to mention that I would be tired after giving blood. When I got home and tried to work on homework I found it hard to focus. Instead I watched some Mythbusters, because I love all things science related and vegged out. It felt wonderful and Mr. O laughed at me when he got off work. I told him he had to do everything for me because I had to rest.
He did get me water and told me to go to bed. He thought it was cute that I stayed awake till he got home from work even though I was really tired. I did not tell him that I took a nap earlier. I felt great knowing that I was able to help other people out. It only took seven minutes to give my blood and then I got to eat all the sugary foods I wanted. This did not go so well with my attempt at being healthier, but I figured it was for a good cause. I did not want to pass out so I had to eat an ice cream. It is what the people at the blood bank told me to do. :) Have you ever given blood? I think I am going to do it more often because I love knowing that I am helping other people. Plus I got a coupon for a free pumpkin! I also got coupons for other stuff as well.



1 comment:

  1. Congrats! I know it can be really scary for people who haven't done it before. I'm so proud of you! At the donation center here they have these stickers that say something like "Take me out to dinner. I donated blood." I love getting that and giving it to dj and going to eat something yummy :)

    ReplyDelete